Portuguese India 1000 Escudos banknote 1959

Portuguese India banknotes 1000 Escudos note 1959 Banco Nacional Ultramarino Albuquerque
Portuguese India 1000 escudos note 1959 Banco Nacional Ultramarino

Portuguese India banknotes 1000 Escudos banknote 1959 Banco Nacional Ultramarino

Obverse: Portrait of Afonso de Albuquerque at right, bank title top centre, Coat of arms of Portugal low centre.
Reverse: Afonso de Albuquerque and ships in full sail - Portuguese India Armada "India Run".
Banco Nacional Ultramarino, signed by Francisco Jose Vieira Machado as Governor and Antonio Julio de Castro Fernandes as Administrator
Manufactured by Thomas De La Rue & Co Ltd London, England.

The Portuguese India armadas (armadas da ├Źndia) were the fleets of ships, organized by the Portuguese crown and dispatched on an annual basis from Portugal to India, principally Goa. These armadas undertook what was called the Carreira da ├Źndia ("India Run"), following the sea route around the Cape of Good Hope opened up by Vasco da Gama in 1497–1499.

Portuguese India banknotes
02.01.1959 "Afonso de Albuquerque / Portuguese Indian escudo" Issue

    30 Escudos      60 Escudos      100 Escudos    
300 Escudos    600 Escudos    1000 Escudos



7th Issue by Bank Nacional Ultramarino - 1959

With the monetary reform instituted by a Decree No.41680 of 16th June 1958, the currency of Portuguese India underwent a change where decimalisation came into being. The decimal system of 100 Centavos equals to 1 Escudo. The rate of conversion of the old currency was 6 Escudos to 1 Rupia. Hence, notes of 30, 60, 100, 300, 600. A 1000 Escudos currency note was also added. These notes were printed by Thomas de la Rue & Co. Ltd., London and were in circulation until 1961, the year in which the Indian Army liberated Goa.
These notes have an enclosed watermark in the left centre with the portrait of Afanso de Albuquerque on the right, the value at left and right and at each corner and coat of arms in the centre. These notes were dated Lisboa, 2nd January 1959. A sailor and sailing ship on the reverse with steamship seal on the top left corner and value at left corner. All these notes were signed by the Governor and Administrator. They were in circulation until 1961.