Ireland Currency 20 Pounds 1929 Ploughman Note

Ireland Currency Consolidated banknotes 20 Pounds Ploughman Note
Ireland Republic banknotes "Ploughman notes" Twenty Pounds
Twenty Pounds Ploughman Notes Ireland Currency Commission Consolidated banknotes
The Bank of Ireland "Ploughman notes" Twenty Pounds (1929) Rock of Cashel
Ireland Currency Commission, Consolidated banknotes:
  20 Pounds Ploughman Note ND (1929) The Bank of Ireland. P-11

The obverse design of all of the notes was of a ploughman with a team of two horses hence the popular nickname of 'ploughman notes' for this series. This design was based on a drawing by Mr Desmond Brien, who was a member of the first 'Currency Commission' Committee. The colour of the notes was the same as those chosen for the legal tender notes, the reverse design of each denomination was of a view of Ireland:

The reverse of the £20 Ploughman note featured an image of "Rock of Cashel, County Tipperary"

These notes were issued by the eight different banks in Ireland at the time. The only variations on the face of the notes was the various bank names, denoting which bank had issued the note. (The Bank of Ireland, The National Bank, The Northern Banking Company, The Provincial Bank, The Ulster Bank, The Hibernian Bank, The Royal Bank of Ireland, The Munster & Leinster Bank)

Rock of Cashel

The Rock of Cashel (Irish: Carraig Ph√°draig), also known as Cashel of the Kings and St. Patrick's Rock, is a historic site located at Cashel, County Tipperary, Ireland.

According to local mythology, the Rock of Cashel originated in the Devil's Bit, a mountain 20 miles (30 km) north of Cashel when St. Patrick banished Satan from a cave, resulting in the Rock's landing in Cashel. Cashel is reputed to be the site of the conversion of the King of Munster by St. Patrick in the 5th century.

The Rock of Cashel was the traditional seat of the kings of Munster for several hundred years prior to the Norman invasion. In 1101, the King of Munster, Muirchertach Ua Briain, donated his fortress on the Rock to the Church. The picturesque complex has a character of its own and is one of the most remarkable collections of Celtic art and medieval architecture to be found anywhere in Europe. Few remnants of the early structures survive; the majority of buildings on the current site date from the 12th and 13th centuries.

Banknotes of the Republic of Ireland
1929–1953: The Currency Commission Consolidated banknotes 
"Ploughman Notes"