Malta banknotes Lm 1 Maltese Lira bank note 1967

Malta currency Maltese lira banknote
one Maltese lira
Malta currency lira banknote
 Currency of Malta  Maltese lira 
Malta currency L₤ one Maltese lira banknote 1967 Central Bank of Malta 
Maltese banknotes, Maltese paper money, Maltese bank notes, Malta banknotes, Malta paper money, Malta bank notes.

Obverse: Logo of the Central Bank of Malta at right, Second World War Memorial (Floriana, Malta) at left. Map of Malta is centered. Denominations in numerals are in all corners. In center in words.
Reverse: The Metropolitan Cathedral of Saint Paul at center. A little to the left side is an ancient wall of The Prehistoric Temple at Tarxien, old capital city of Mdina. Hypogeum of Hal-Saflieni at left.
Watermark: Allegorical Head of Malta - Melita.
Signatures: Mr. Henry C de Gabriele, Mr. A. Camilleri.
Printer: Thomas De La Rue & Company Limited, London England.

Malta banknotes - Malta paper money
   The introduction of the new decimal coinage in 1972 spurred the Central Bank of Malta to implement uniformity in note circulation. Thus the currency notes of 1s, 2s, 2s6d, and 5s, issued in the early 1940s to make up for the lack of coinage because of transportation problems during the Second World War, were demonetized by December 1971. Even the 10s notes issued by the Bank in 1968 were called in by June 1972.
   On 15 January 1973, the Central Bank of Malta issued its second series of currency notes printed by Thomas De La Rue & Co. Ltd. The new notes included £M1 (green colour), £M5 (blue colour) and the £M10 (dark and light brown colour). The 10s note was replaced by a 50c coin during the same period.
   The new notes had enhanced security features, including a vertically running security thread and a phosphorous mark in the form of an eight-pointed cross. The notes also contained a watermark showing an allegorical Head of Malta, designed by the Maltese artist Emvin Cremona.
   Currency notes always bore a series of combinations of signatures of top persons at the Central Bank. However, in 1975, a new issue of £m10 notes bore only the signature of the then Deputy Governor of the Bank.

1 Maltese Lira     5 Maltese Lira     10 Maltese Lira

Metropolitan Cathedral of Saint Paul
St. Paul's Cathedral is a Roman Catholic cathedral in the city of Mdina, in Malta. It is built on the site where governor Publius was reported to have met Saint Paul following his shipwreck off the Maltese coast.
   According to tradition, the first Cathedral of Malta was dedicated to the Blessed Virgin, Mother of God but, having fallen into ruin during the Muslim period, it was rebuilt following the Norman conquest and re-dedicated to St Paul. The old church was modified and enlarged several times.
   The building we can see today was designed by the architect Lorenzo Gafa, it was built between 1697 and 1702 to replace a ruined Norman cathedral destroyed by the 1693 earthquake on Malta. Despite this, several artifacts and edifices survived including the painting by the Calabrian artist Mattia Preti depicting the conversion of Saint Paul, a 15th-century Tuscan painting of the Madonna and Child, and frescoes in the apse which illustrate Paul's shipwreck.
The architect Lorenzo Gafa designed the Cathedral in Baroque style. It sits at the end of a rectangular square. The near-square facade is cleanly divided in three bays by the Corinthian order of pilasters. There are two bell towers at the both corners. The plan is a Latin cross with a vaulted nave, two aisles and two small side chapels. The Cathedral has a light octagonal dome, with eight stone scrolls above a high drum leading up to a neat lantern.
   One of the main features of the interior is the rich colorful tessellated floor. Many of the furnishings of the cathedral, including the baptismal font and the portal, are carved out of Irish wood.
   The cathedral also has a substantial collection of silver plates and coins, and some carvings by the German artist Albrecht Dürer.

Air Force War Memorial
The Air Force War Memorial is located in the Valletta City, gate area in Floriana, close to the Triton Fountain and main bus terminus. It is a memorial to 600 Maltese and nearly one million British servicemen that gave their lives during the Great War of 1914 – 1918. Nearby is the Malta Memorial. The War Memorial was designed by Louis Naudi and unveiled in 1938 by the governor of Malta. It is constructed of Gozo stone and is in the form of five crosses. After World War Two, the memorial was updated so as to represent the fallen from both wars. The dedication plaques were replaced with tributes from world leaders of the time.

Tarxien Temples
The Tarxien Temples are an archaeological complex in Tarxien, Malta. They date to approximately 3150 BC. The site was accepted as a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 1980 along with the other Megalithic temples on the island of Malta.
   The Tarxien consist of three separate, but attached, temple structures. The main entrance is a reconstruction dating from 1956, when the whole site was restored. At the same time, many of the decorated slabs discovered on site were relocated indoors for protection at the Museum of Archaeology in Valletta. The first temple has been dated to approximately 3100 BC and is the most elaborately decorated of the temples of Malta. The middle temple dates to about 3000 BC, and is unique in that, unlike the rest of the Maltese temples, it has three pairs of apses instead of the usual two. The east temple is dated at around 3100 BC. The remains of another temple, smaller, and older, having been dated to 3250 BC, are visible further towards the east.
   Of particular interest at the temple site is the rich and intricate stonework, which includes depictions of domestic animals carved in relief, altars, and screens decorated with spiral designs and other patterns. Demonstrative of the skill of the builders is a chamber set into the thickness of the wall between the South and Central temples and containing a relief showing a bull and a sow.
Function in prehistory
Excavation of the site reveals that it was used extensively for rituals, which probably involved animal sacrifice. Especially interesting is that Tarxien provides rare insight into how the megaliths were constructed: stone rollers were left outside the South temple. Additionally, evidence of cremation has been found at the center of the South temple, which is an indicator that the site was reused as a Bronze Age cremation cemetery.
Discovery and history
   The large stone blocks were discovered in 1914 by local farmers ploughing a field. After the accidental discovery of the nearby Tarxien hypogeum in 1913, the proprietor of the land underneath which the temples were buried figured that the large stones that were continually struck by workers' ploughs may also have had some archaeological value. On that notion, he contacted the director of the National Museum, Sir Themistocles Zammit, who began to dig even on his first inspection of the site, where he discovered the center of the temple compound. It was not long before Zammit found himself standing in what appeared to be an apse formed by a semicircle of enormous hewn stones. Over the course of three years, Zammit enlisted the help of local farmers and townspeople for an excavation project of unprecedented scale in Malta. By 1920, Zammit had identified and carried out restoration work on five separate but interconnected temples, all yielding a remarkable collection of artifacts, including the famous "fat lady" statue (a representation of a Mother Goddess or a fertility charm), and several unique examples of prehistoric relief, including ships. Further excavations at the temples were conducted in the post-World War II period under the directorship of Dr. J.G. Baldacchino.

Hypogeum of Hal-Saflieni
The Hypogeum of Paola, Malta, literally meaning "underground" in Greek, is a subterranean structure dating to the Saflieni phase (3000-2500 BC) in Maltese prehistory. Thought to have been originally a sanctuary, it became a necropolis in prehistoric times and the remains of more than 7,000 individuals have been found. It is the only known prehistoric underground temple in the world. The Hypogeum was depicted on a 2 cents 5 mils stamp issued in the Maltese Islands in 1980 to commemorate the acceptance by UNESCO of this unique structure in the World Heritage Site list. It was closed to visitors between 1992 and 1996 for restoration works; since it reopened only 60 people per day are allowed entry.
It was discovered by accident in 1902 when workers cutting cisterns for a new housing development broke through its roof. The workers tried to hide the temple at first, but eventually it was found. The study of the structure was first entrusted to Father Manuel Magri of the Society of Jesus, who directed the excavations on behalf of the Museums Committee. Magri died in 1907, before the publication of the report. Following Magri's sudden death, excavation resumed under Sir Themistocles Zammit.