Malta 10 Shillings banknote 1949 Queen Elizabeth II

Malta Banknotes 10 Shillings banknote 1949 Queen Elizabeth II and the George Cross
Malta money currency 10 Shillings banknote 1949 Mgarr Harbor

Malta Banknotes 10 Shillings banknote 1949 Queen Elizabeth II
Government of Malta

Obverse: Portrait of Queen Elizabeth II and the George Cross that had been awarded to the people and the defenders of Malta in April 1942. Denominations in numerals are in all corners. Centered in words.
Reverse: View of Mgarr Harbor with Għajnsielem Parish Church  on the eastern side of the island of Gozo, Malta.
Watermark: Allegorical head of Malta - Melita.
Signatures: Governor: Dr. Philip L Hogg.
Printed by Bradbury Wilkinson and Company, New Malden in Surrey, England.
Size: 134 х 70 mm.

Malta banknotes - Malta paper money
The 1949 Ordinance was passed to ‘stamp’ a permanent existence on the issue of Maltese currency notes, which had always been a temporary measure to make up for the scarcity of coinage. A Currency Board was set up to oversee and control the issue of currency notes.
In 1951, the £1 and 10s denomination notes were issued, bearing the portrait of King George VI and a reproduction of the George Cross. The £1 note was brown and the 10s note was green. In 1954, the notes were re-issued with the portrait of Queen Elizabeth II, to mark her visit to Malta. The notes were printed by Thomas De la Rue & Co Ltd, as had been the 1951 notes.
In 1961, £5 notes were issued to facilitate economic activity, while in 1963, new editions of the £1 and 10s notes were issued, all forming part of the ‘Pictorial Series’ bearing the portrait by Pietro Annigoni of Queen Elizabeth II. The 1961 and 1963 notes were printed by Bradbury, Wilkinson & Co. Ltd.

10 Shillings              One Pound              5 Pounds

Mgarr is town and harbour at the east end of Gozo, Malta. The town of Mġarr grew up around the shallow harbour which shares its name. Ferry services to Malta were in operation by 1241, and fishing was already established. While the area around the harbour was developed over the following centuries, there was little development of the harbour itself until 1841, when a breakwater was constructed to provide more shelter to the port. This breakwater was strengthened and extended several times up to 1906. A larger breakwater was constructed between 1929 and 1935, and two more in 1969; on the completion of the latter, the area of the port was expanded to 121,400 square meters.
  Mġarr is the largest fishing village on Gozo. In addition to the ferry terminal, a yacht marina is also located in the town. Mġarr is overlooked by Fort Chambray, constructed in 1749 by the Knights of St.John.